Tuesday, September 25, 2007

A Prayer

I found this prayer today and it really touched me. What do you think of it?

O Lord My God,
Teach my heart this day where and how to see you,
where and how to find you.
You have made me and remade me,
and you have bestowed on me all the things I possess,
and still I do not know you.
I have not yet done that for which I was made.
Teach me to seek you, for I cannot seek you unless you teach me,
or find you unless you show yourself to me.
Let me seek you in my desire,
let me desire you in my seeking.
Let me find you by loving you,
let me love you when I find you.

Saint Anselim (1003-1109)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds a little bi-polar! HA!
No, it's really sweet. I feel like that most days... especially the part about not doing what we've been made to do. It just seems like it's never enough in comparison to His grace and glory.

Love you, Kara

Suzanne said...

When I first read this I really liked it but the more I read it I don't get what he is trying to say. :)

Anonymous said...

HA! You make me laugh out loud! But don't you feel like you have those kinds of days where you know you should search after him, but don't really feel like it. But you DO fell like being close to him, but in order to do that you ahve to seek Him?

I think, more or less, that's this poem/prayer says to me. It's comferting to know that I;m not the only one who is bi-polar in my prayer life! ;) Ha, Ha!
~KK